Thursday, October 21, 2010

Look, a winner:

And the winner is:  Maja.  Even though she pretended to be her dad, and tried to start rumors about me which are mostly unfounded.  That's how fair the process was; I asked the cat and she chose without fear or favour. 

Tomorrow I will drive to Wellington for these shows I mentioned.  People who aren't from New Zealand may not be aware that that's actually a fair way away, even though our country is just a pair of islands in the middle of a large ocean full of sharks.  The island thing can be confusing for people, I think.  Once upon a time I had a job selling liquor and cigarillos to Americans off the cruise ships, and middle-aged rich people would ask me things like 'is there a Hard Rock Cafe on the island, sweetheart?'  It took me a while before I figured out that the island they were talking about was the North Island, which is not usually thought of as an island in the sunny South Pacific atoll sense.  I didn't know the answer, so I would alternate between yes and no depending on how much I felt like making up directions that day.  For all I know, there are to this day Americans in places like Dargaville or Fielding looking for this elusive cafe.  I wish them luck.

1 comment:

  1. Like, OMG! Thanks Mr Bond Street Bridge!! I haven't been this excited since I ran a competition on my own blog!!! Will there be some sort of prize-giving ceremony with photographers?

    Really, thanks.

    ReplyDelete